Chile Verde is a perfect slow cooker recipe, because the longer it simmers, the better the flavors. It doesn’t matter if your pork is boneless or bone-in. For variety, you can substitute chicken thighs or leg quarters for the pork.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pork shoulder roast (3 to 4 pounds)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup chopped onion
2 cups diced tomatoes
2 cups prepared salsa verde (we like Herdez brand)
1 chopped jalapeno pepper
2 teaspoons chile powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1. Heat oil in a large frying over medium-high heat.
2. Sprinkle salt and pepper over both sides of pork, then place pork in hot oil. Brown both sides, then remove from pan and place in slow cooker.
3. Add onions to pan and saute until just beginning to soften, scraping up any brown bits from bottom of pan. Pour onions into slow cooker.
4. Add the rest of the ingredients except the cilantro to the slow cooker, and cook on low for 6 hours.
5. At the end of cooking, the meat should be falling apart. Stir, taste and adjust seasoning.
6. Serve with warm corn tortillas and steamed rice.
7. Garnish with chopped cilantro
Find this recipe, and hundreds more, at foodiekitchen.com